Future UK National Championship Venues


Event Reports

It is important for the class profile that we regularly and promptly send out reports of Osprey Class Open Meetings and other sailing events in which Osprey owners compete.

The order for report writing of an Osprey Class Open Meeting or a mixed classes regatta is:

Highest placed Osprey Class committee member writes the report        
Whoever is third overall in the Osprey Class writes the report                            
If less than 3 Ospreys participating in the event then the last placed Osprey crew to write the report.   
Reports are always welcome from others as well, it gives an additional perspective of the racing.

The report to be submitted preferably with a photograph or two of the sailing & the results by the Tuesday after the event. That gives a chance of the report being used by Yachts & Yachting magazine as well as https://www.yachtsandyachting.com. The guidelines for how it is done are at https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/…/Guidelines-for-submitti…

You should also copy the report, photographs & results to Huw, and do some blogs on Facebook. Be sure to ask at the host club to find out if photos are available. If not, Angela Mamwell often has photos. Taking a photograph of the results sheet on your phone and posting it on Facebook during the weekend is also good - please check it is a readable image before posting. Facebook is good for internal communication within the class, but we need https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/ and our website for external comm, in the hope of attracting new people to the class.

Online electronic calendar


Sunday 17th May 2020 at 14:15 BST
Another cancellation, this time it is the Sheppey Open scheduled for 21st & 22nd June 2020.

09:00 BST Friday 15th May 2020

Unfortunately Shoreham SC have had to cancel their Open Meeting scheduled for July 4th & 5th 2020. There are no plans to rearrange this year but we will be exploring a date for next year in due course.

14:30 BST Thursday 7th May 2020

Poole YC have regrettably, due to the current uncertainty around lifting of restrictions due Covid-19, taken the decision to cancel the Southern Area Championship. This was scheduled to be held on the 6th & 7th June 2020. Poole YC will see if there is an alternative date later in the year suitable to both club & class and has acceptable tide.

13:00 GMT on Wednesday 18th March 2020

CONISTON REGATTA - Just in case anyone was thinking of coming this will not take place on the second bank holiday in May.


Osprey Class Association Statement – Covid 19

15:45 GMT on Wednesday 15th April 2020

Subject – 2020 National Championships

Dear member,

First and foremost the Osprey Class Committee wishes to extend its thoughts to you and your loved ones at this difficult time and hopes that everyone remains in good health. We have all had to adjust to a new way of living in recent weeks with the emphasis on staying at home and distancing from one another to prevent the spread of the virus. The outbreak has also led to the wholesale postponement and cancellation of all events and gatherings including sailing events, something that as active sailors we have struggled to come to terms with.

I am writing to you today to keep you updated with regard to this year’s National Championships which is the biggest gathering of Osprey folk annually. You may know that this year’s event comes from my home club at Castle Cove in Dorset, and as such the club has been in contact with me to understand the class position with regard to holding the championships. At the time of writing I can confirm that I have not expressed a desire to postpone or cancel this event, feeling that to do so now would be premature given that no one knows how long the current restrictions will remain in force. I am also aware that many of you would have booked accommodation locally etc. A decision will be taken by the end of May and communicated appropriately.

Should the event be affected then I have requested that my club look to alternative dates much later in the year with a view to rescheduling the event. If this is not feasible then as a last resort the event would have to be cancelled.

Outline plans are in place with regard to hosting as advertised, in short we will be ready if things improve and if not then again we will do all we can to make this happen in 2020.

In the interim there is no excuse for fixing up the boat and getting ready! And also exploring the world of virtual racing!

On behalf of the Osprey Class Association,
Best regards
Kevin (Class Membership Secretary & Treasurer)