2020 UK National Championship

An area for discussion of events and venues of interest to the Osprey Class. Additionally this area can be used to promote an upcoming event and to post a report & results of events.
webmaster
Site Admin
Your known name (real identity): Huw
Your family name (real identity): Pearce
Sail Number: 0
County or State or Province: Carmarthenshire
Your principle sailing club: Sailwave SC

Re: 2020 UK National Championship

Post by webmaster »

Osprey Class Association Statement – Covid 19
Subject – 2020 National Championships

15:45 GMT on Wednesday 15th April 2020

Dear member,

First and foremost the Osprey Class Committee wishes to extend its thoughts to you and your loved ones at this difficult time and hopes that everyone remains in good health. We have all had to adjust to a new way of living in recent weeks with the emphasis on staying at home and distancing from one another to prevent the spread of the virus. The outbreak has also led to the wholesale postponement and cancellation of all events and gatherings including sailing events, something that as active sailors we have struggled to come to terms with.

I am writing to you today to keep you updated with regard to this year’s National Championships which is the biggest gathering of Osprey folk annually. You may know that this year’s event comes from my home club at Castle Cove in Dorset, and as such the club has been in contact with me to understand the class position with regard to holding the championships. At the time of writing I can confirm that I have not expressed a desire to postpone or cancel this event, feeling that to do so now would be premature given that no one knows how long the current restrictions will remain in force. I am also aware that many of you would have booked accommodation locally etc. A decision will be taken by the end of May and communicated appropriately.

Should the event be affected then I have requested that my club look to alternative dates much later in the year with a view to rescheduling the event. If this is not feasible then as a last resort the event would have to be cancelled.

Outline plans are in place with regard to hosting as advertised, in short we will be ready if things improve and if not then again we will do all we can to make this happen in 2020.

In the interim there is no excuse for fixing up the boat and getting ready! And also exploring the world of virtual racing!

On behalf of the Osprey Class Association,
Best regards
Kevin (Class Membership Secretary & Treasurer)
webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

09:45 GMT on Monday 1st June 2020

Subject – 2020 National Championships

Today confirmed that it will not be possible to hold the Championship as planned over the period 25th -28th July 2020. Full statement in news article at https://ospreysailing.org.uk/cms2/.

The statement was emailed to all entries for whom the class have an email address. Some of the email addresses the class membership secretary bounced, i.e. are no longer valid.
webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

The Committee of the Osprey Class Association working in conjunction with Castle Cove Sailing Club would like to hold a National Championships at Castle Cove commencing on the weekend of 24th and 25th October. Your Committee now believe that taking into account the latest guidance from the Government and the RYA it would be practical to hold such an event. Your committee’s objectives are to hold an event that is as safe as reasonably practical for the competitors, the race team, the club volunteers and the general public – meets the relevant guidance and provides a viable Championship that does not devalue the competition. We would like to make the event as “normal” and enjoyable as possible but unless the guidance is further relaxed in the intervening months that may not be possible.

To establish the viability of the event we would like to gauge the likely interest in an event that comprises:-

- A 3 or 4 day regatta with a maximum of 3 races a day, most likely a combination of 2 and 3 race days across the event, preferably held at sea in Weymouth Bay but with the option of sailing within Portland Harbour. Racing each day to conclude by 15:00 to give time for everyone to get safely ashore in the limited daylight available.
- Competitors would be expected to follow the RYA guidance on sailing with crews from separate households.
- No changing facilities available – either change in car or at accommodation.
- No showers – other than exceptional cases where hypothermia may be a risk.
- Food and drink served and consumed outside, possibly with some sort of marquee
- Clubhouse not open other than toilets.
- Boats kept ashore in allocated spaces and to be launched and recovered at allocated slipways in order to retain social distancing ashore

Please could you indicate your interest in participating in such an event.

Further your Committee would like to gauge opinion on the following issues:-

:?: Duration of the event - 3 or 4 days and number and length of races per day. The decision needs to take account of the limited daylight available, the time needed to sail out to and back from the race area and the potential for cold temperatures. A larger number of longer races in open waters probably implies an early morning start.
:?: The viability of a National Championship if held within the confines of Portland Harbour.
webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

Recently received via email :-(
Last night the committee met to discuss the questionnaire feedback from the signed up competitors. The response was good and a clear mandate was received which has unfortunately led to the decision to cancel the Osprey 2020 Nationals.

2020 National Championship - CANCELLED
webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

Ø Cancelled 2020 Nationals refunds are now underway, cheques should arrive with those that requested refunds in the near future.

Ø 2021 Nationals Tenby – From those that pre entered this year’s Nationals I am pleased to report that 18 Competitors have requested funds be carried over into 2021 and so for Tenby that means there is already 18 entries for this event which will run from August 1st to 4th.